Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Little help?



So since the skates are ordered, kneepads paid for and inbox starting to collect practice updates... I may as well face the fact that Rollerderby might have become part of my life. Who knows how big and for how long, but that's that.

Turns out, one of the coolest parts of joining this whole madhouse is choosing a name for one's self. And as far as I can tell, green as I am, there are quite a few themes from which to glean inspiration: alternative lifestyles, animalistic behavior, household implements, subversive expression, violence and brutality, physical ailments, overt female sexuality, WMDs, post-modern subcultures and, last but not least, corny punning. Or, in other words, names that include the words: mosh, mash, spank, skank, bang, slash, spill, bite, lick, fight -- in conjunction with phrases like: bar-brawl, crash-n-burn, lil' miss, bad grrrl, B52, junk-in-the-trunk and pussy-whupped -- plus a wide assortment of drugs and booze references like: Vi Codin, Mae Lox, Foxy Codone and Anita Fix. (Mega points for including corny puns.) The dirtier, raunchier and scarier the better!!!

No two rollergirls have the same names as they are all listed on a world-wide register.

(If I were still at Sarah Lawrence I'd have my 50-page conference paper outlined, written and published by now!)

Ok, so I've got a few ideas but still no cigar as it were. Anybody have any ideas? I'm stearing clear of things that don't express me (any references to being: "big," as I'll probably be dwarfed by these ladies; "physically inept," this they will discover without my help; "gay," don't wanna get their hopes up) In other words, names that evoke a person who's small, fiesty, boozed-up, pissed-off and generally blagging her way through life.

So let's hear it people!

Shit, gotta go. There's some dude on the roof opposite and the dogs are going nuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home